There is a growing group of people in the US and Canada, outside of
mainstream publications, experimenting with new forms of bodystorming and
are supporting these performative modes of knowing with fairly substantive
theory. The term "bodystorming" describes at least 3 modes of performed
prototyping, including Oulasvirtta's work and IDEO. They are forms of
informance, but the mode I believe important to empathy is not in acting and
performing skill but in the action-ideation cycle itself.

Dennis Schleicher (http://tibetantailor.com ) recently worked with me and
one of our graduate students in the Strategic Foresight and Innovation MDes
program at OCAD. We hold what are called Design with Dialogue workshops
http://designwithdialogue.com in Toronto, and Dennis joined us virtually
when his travel to TO didn't work out. A group of 15 mostly first-time
bodystormers demonstrated their first-ever prototypes in the two videos you
see at the DwD site. They were as good as any I've seen in working with the
method, and yet Dennis was only with us on Skype.

Dennis' style of bodystorming is meant to be participatory and to avoid
thinking too much about generating ideas. Designers often spend too much
energy creating cognitive solutions to human problems. Varela's notion of
embodied cognition, not the HCI version, observes an act first cycle of
knowledge and learning. "Schleicherian" bodystorming can be seen as
following Varela's axioms. It is pretty fail-safe because it is
naturalistic.

The working theory we are seeing at play is that this process works as an
act-first embodied practice simulation. We put participants in a situation
(or scene) and have them act right away, just start behaving as "thrown" in
the situation, as you would in real life. We observe the play together and
debrief ideas from the performance. Dennis has not published this as citable
(yet), but his works on his site are well worth reading.

Peter H. Jones, Ph.D.
Senior Fellow, Strategic Innovation Lab
Faculty, Strategic Foresight and Innovation

ONTARIO COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN
http://designdialogues.com

Robin,
To my mind, a prototype is only as good as the
acting skills of the person handling the proto-
type in a test-scenario. If that person is a
'user' then s/he needs to be actively re-imagining
the prototype as real, embodying the way the
designer sees the design. If that person is the
'designer' then s/he needs to be actively becoming
the target user using the design in the richly-
pictured use-case/-scenario. Consequently, 'inform-
ance' is designed to enrich the fundamental empathy
of designing.

A colleague and I argued in a badly written paper
and hasty presentation that something like 'infor-
mance' is crucial to 'service design', particulary
in relation to the politics of designing the activ-
ities of service providers:
http://www.slideshare.net/cameront/theatrical-politics-of-service-design-253
9008
See the references of that paper for articles on
the use of theatrical techniques in design research
and service designing.

In addition to the Buchenau and Suri piece that Jeff
just mentioned, see also the special issue of
Interacting with Computers Volume 18, Issue 5  (September 2006)
on performance in HCI:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1220979.1221451

Cameron