From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of G. Mauricio Mejia
Sent: den 17 april 2010 14:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: IRB protocols

Dear Charlotte, Michael, Dermott, and all

I did get the IRB approval. My research only included minimal risk like most of the design researches (I guess). I’d add that IRB also helps you to be organized and obtain reliable data because you have to explain in deep detail what are you going to do. My research was mixed methods and I had to predict some possible questions for the semi-structured interview, and I also explained that other issues might come out. IRB board did not have problems with that and approved it.

I agree that design researcher must embrace the IRB requirements in the research processes; however, it also implies limitations because the IRB boards usually take several weeks in the protocol review and modifications also may take significant time. We are in design accustomed to act in very creative and flexible ways, which is not the case in IRB processes.

G. Mauricio Mejía
Assistant professor Universidad de Caldas, Colombia
Master of Design student University of Cincinnati, USA
http://mejia.disenovisual.com