Terry,
I'd have to answer both 'yes' and 'no'. :)

You seem to be suggesting visualizing in terms of shape & appearance.  In
that sense, I would say visualizing is a hindrance because it biases one to
certain features of a design and not to others.

However, taken more broadly - visualizing /information/ and not just shape
or appearance, I would say that visualization is fundamentally important as
an alternative to text-based descriptions.  My experience is that
visualization of information (not just a design's shape or appearance) can
be incredibly useful to designers.

Of course, all this relates also to the nature of the design.  Some designs
are fundamentally about visual appearance. Others are not.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.