I agree with the comments posted so far - I have met people in a "neutral" location (indeed did so this morning) but generally try to steer clear of doing it. Fairly similar reasons to "home visits" - I really do wonder sometimes of the value of such meetings versus the resource implications (generally take longer) and have to admit prefer a telephone consultation. however in my world people can build a phobic response to the workplace - especially after an incident such as an assault and I am conscious that coming into the premises for an occupational health consultataion may be an initial step in re-integration so may actually be useful/therapeutic, in these types of cases I would be more flexible. But  I have issues with undertaking such meetings when absence from work is involved with disciplinary procedures/grievances etc. or because someone is making a stand - I think in such cases pragmatism rules

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brenda Proud
Sent: 08 April 2010 15:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Reasonable

Hi Lynda

I have on a limited number of occasions met with employees out with workplace area – either their home or in a mutually acceptable place – e.g. Coffee area of hotel we have the luxury of having this attached to our premises. I do know people have met in local coffee shops etc to at least make the initial contact and start dialogue.

The biggest difficulty is getting somewhere that you feel is sufficiently private to allow free discussion but not put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Brenda