Dear all
We are looking at the feasability of using safer across our Trust. Currently at the gathering infromation stage. I am trying ot find some benchmarking information but it does seem to be difficult to obtain.
Can you help? We have comprehensive data but I realise that we all collect information in differening formats. I would keep your Trust identity confidential.

The most basic would be:- How many staff in your Trust, Acute or PCT, number of needlesticks in 2009

If you have additional information that would be even better. We collect the following (see below) but any information would be helpful.
Please contact me off line with any information. I am equally happy to diseminate the annonomysed info if others would be interested.
Many thanks
Jean

Staff member job title:
Qualified nurse
Domestic
HCA / SHCA
Porter
Student nurse
Sterile services asst
Doctor
Mortuary staff
Medical student
ODA
Qualified midwife
Dentist
Student midwife
Dental nurse
Physiotherapist
Phlebotomist / venesector
Other ..............................................................

Where did the incident occur?
Patient’s bedside
Theatre
Ward area, away from bedside
Office
Outpatient clinic
Laboratory
Catering areas
X-ray
Sterile Services
Other area ...........................................

For what purpose was the sharp item originally used?
Unknown
 To place arterial/central line
 Injection through the skin
To obtain a body fluid/ tissue sample
Heparin or saline flush
Finger stick/ heel prick
Suturing
Cutting
Injection into or from IV injection site or port
 To contain a specimen
To take blood sample
To connect IV line
Other .............

Did the injury occur?
Before use of the item
 During use of the item
Device left on floor, bed or inappropriate place
Restraining patient
In preparation for reuse of reusable instrument
While recapping a used needle
Disassembling device or equipment
After use of item, before disposal
Withdrawing a needle from resistant material
During disposal in to sharps bin
From item protruding from rubbish bag
Other

Which device caused the injury?
Hollow needle
Solid needle
Cannulation introducer
Surgical instrument
Glass
 Other

Was the injury?
Superficial (little or no bleeding)
Moderate (skin punctured, some bleeding)
Severe (deep stick/cut, or profuse bleeding)

If the injury was to the hand, did the sharp penetrate?
Single pair of gloves
Double pair of gloves
No gloves

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: