Jon is right - there isn't a simple answer, the meeting evolved.  And
David & Derek are also right about UNIVERSE & UNISON contributing to the
origin.
Michael: I have in my archive (aka workshop) a printed proceedings for
1990 - but that may not be the first year we produced actual
proceedings.  And I hadn't noticed the Chilton computing site had put up
some details of UNIVERSE - pity OUP pulped the unsold copies of the book
years ago :-(

As some of you know, I'm in history mode at the moment, having just
finished the first draft of a history of JANET: so I'm doing a little
checking - i.e., enquiring of one or two of the others responsible for
the earliest meetings.  I'll get back to the list.

Regards,
Chris

Derek McAuley wrote:
> Previous to that was Universe - think it was 83.
>
> On 28 Apr 2010, at 16:13, David Parish wrote:
>
>> The Coseners meetings originated as the annual project review meetings for the Alvey funded UNISON project around the mid 1980's. When this project finished everyone thought that it would be a good idea to have an annual networks meeting in the Coseners House. I think this would have been the late 1980's. It became known as NGN much later than this, I think around the early 2000's, but I may be wrong here.
>>
>> David

Dr Christopher (Chris) S Cooper
Consultant to JANET(UK)
Tel: +44 (0)1854 613727 (answerphone)