medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture The Magdalen College pontifical also states 'de sinistro angulo ab oriente . . . usque in dextrum angulum occidentalem . . . et a dextro angulo orientali . . . usque in sinistrum angulum occidentalem'.  I did wonder about which corner was meant by sinister - left as one sees it facing east i.e. north, rather that 'stage left'?

Thank you, Carlos, for the offer of your paper - would it be possible to send it as an attachment to my email address (below)?
The diagram does assume a simple, rectangular building.  The church I'm thinking of probably had a semi-circular apse in the twelfth century (this was replaced with a rectangular chancel in the 13th century).
It has been suggested to me that there would not have been a ceremony at the institution of the priest, when he was presented to the parish by his patron in 1219.  The church would, presumably, have been consecrated a hundred or so years earlier when it had been built - but it seems it is possible that the full ceremony would not have occurred then?

Thank you everyone for all your help - I didn't realise what an interesting discussion I was initiating!
Cate