...and perhaps responders could in all cases confirm the nature of the chapter involved at the time referred to? Christopher's comment about weird England is right and would, I think, apply anywhere where the cathedral community was monastic.

PS

I can't offhand think of any proven scriptoria at non-monastic cathedral chapters in England, though Hereford and Old Sarum seem the more likely possible exceptions... gainsayers welcome.

--

Mobile:
07768 234168

Web:
http://joncannon.wordpress.com (blog and main website)
http://joncannonschurches.wordpress.com (subsidiary blog)

> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:39:35 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] Book-producing Scriptoria attached to Cathedral Chapters
> To: [log in to unmask]

> On Saturday, April 17, 2010, at 5:21 pm, Rochelle Altman wrote:
> >
> > St. Gall? Monastery + cathedral -- course it had AS links.
> >

> But was there a cathedral, and hence a cathedral chapter, at Sankt Gallen before the nineteenth century? I had thought not. See:
> http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dsaga.html
> http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dchus.html
>
> Best,
> John Dillon