George, I don't suppose there is much difference of effort in making the
sign of the cross with the hand or with a blessing-cross. Possibly the use
of the small hand-cross was considered more dignified or symbolically
denser. There is a not-very-good article here: <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessing_cross>, but someone may know of
something more scholarly.

Various forms of Ethiopian crosses are lavishly illustrated in W.
Korabiewicz, *The Ethiopian Cross,* Addis Ababa: Holy Trinity Cathedral,
1973. According to WorldCat, Stanford has a copy. -- Paul Chandler

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014 |

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]