ANGLES 2: ANOTHER INTERDISCIPLINARY POSTGRADUATE CONFERENCE ON CULTURAL HISTORY
Birkbeck, University of London
Saturday 19 June 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS - FINAL REMINDER - DEADLINE SATURDAY 17 APRIL 2010

Following the success of the first Angles conference in 2009, we are returning in 2010 with another one-day event and the launch of an online network for research students working in the field of cultural history.

The aim of the conference is to bring together a range of postgraduate perspectives on cultural history from across the disciplinary spectrum. The focus will be on unusual topics or unconventional approaches to otherwise familiar topics. For instance, papers might deal with cultural practices that have been neglected by traditional history, or engage with emerging fields, trends or themes that may have been overlooked by existing scholarship. We would especially welcome papers that reflect on the challenges of dealing with discipline-specific responses to the way in which you approach your topic, or the particular advantages or limitations of taking on an unusual topic.

We invite all interested contributors to submit proposals for 20 minute papers. Please send a 200 word abstract, including your name, designation, institutional affiliation and thesis title (if applicable) to [log in to unmask] no later than Saturday 17 April 2010.

Thanks to funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), we are able to offer six travel bursaries of up to £50 each to enable research students from outside London to attend the conference. We will be receiving applications for the bursaries when registration for the conference opens in May.

The online network will launch in late April 2010.

Co-organisers:
Rachel Richardson, Thomas Turner, James Emmott
(Birkbeck)

School of Arts, Birkbeck, University of London / www.bbk.ac.uk/arts
Department of History, Classics and Archaeology / www.bbk.ac.uk/hca
London Consortium / www.londonconsortium.com

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/angles

Angles is supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

Each year the AHRC provides funding from the Government to support research and postgraduate study in the arts and humanities, from archaeology and English literature to design and dance. Only applications of the highest quality and excellence are funded and the range of research supported by this investment of public funds not only provides social and cultural benefits but also contributes to the economic success of the UK. For further information on the AHRC, please see www.ahrc.ac.uk