Fi

F.a.o. Hugh Paton,

Hi Hugh,

We've done a significant amount of training with Library Services around
RFID implementation and the resultant change in work practices and
behaviours  and this has been raised as an issue only a couple of times-
usually as a fear rather than an actual.

My first reaction is whether it is a perception rather than a reality --
Have you definite proof - are you taking less in terms of compensation? How
often is it happening? (The response from staff of 'all the time

' or 'more than it did' doesn't really cut the mustard with me).Could it be
that staff who may be reluctant to embrace RFID are raising it as an issue?.
When we are training we use a 97/3 (rather than 80/20) principle -- some
library staff love to have an answer/policy on any and ‘once in a blue
moon’ scenarios on the off chance it happens rather than managing the
situation when it arises.

If you have definite proof that it is happening, have you any indication why
- hopefully you are not using a returns box for all returns - some libraries
are - there may be a problem with customers forcing items into returns
boxes.

If not and you are still experiencing a problem, our approach of having a
staff member working around the units and being available for customers
would mean staff should be available to monitor the quality of returns and
act as low level security to discourage the odd miscreant sneaking items
back in. I think your current methodology will upset more innocent people
than catching 'guilty'.

Hope this is of some help

Best wishes

Fi and Ian

Embervision (UK) Ltd (Directors Ms F J Emberton and Mr I Spence)

Embervision Pty Ltd Australia

 <http://www.embervision.cc/> ww <http://www.embervision.cc/> w.embervision.
cc

Stay up to date with Fi and Ian on Twitter - fi emberton

Tel : +617 3262 7438 (Office Aus) +61400 144 044 (Mob in Aus) +447958274757
(Mob from UK )

Audley 146 Kitchener Road Ascot Q4007 Australia

 Reg. Office: Compass House 17/19 Empringham Wy Hedon Road HULL HU9 1RP

Co. Reg. number 6119958 VAT 917892774