John,

Our system, Aleph, does this - our loans control table has different columns for due dates depending on whether an item is reserved or not. It is based on simply the presence of any hold, not on a definable threshold, but is otherwise very flexible in terms of different options for different types of reader. We do not have a lot of experience of this, because most of our member libraries work on the principle of not allowing holds on available books and never allowing renewals of any loaned books with holds (which means that the sort of situation you are looking at can rarely arise).

HTH.

Best wishes,

Alan

==============================
Mr A.V. Exelby,
Systems/Databases Librarian.
The Library,
University of East Anglia,
Norwich, NR4 7TJ

Tel.: 01603 592432
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Information Services
"Man, who'd have thought being a librarian could be so tough"
Seamus Harper, in 'Harper 2.0', "Andromeda".