Career Development Group - North Eastern Division are pleased to announce that we will be sponsoring one place for a CDG NE member or a student/unwaged person up to the total value of £150.

If you would like to be considered for the sponsored place at the CDG National Conference please write a paragraph outlining why you would like the attend the conference and what you feel you would gain from attending.
The attendee will also be asked to write a short article for the CDG NE newsletter, In View, on their experience of attending the event.

Send your paragraph to Michelle Walker
Email: [log in to unmask] by 4pm on 21st April 2010.

Please provide a contact email address and phone number so we can confirm your place with the conference organisers, if successful.

Details of Conference are :

WORKING SMARTER: MAKING MORE OF AN IMPACT WITH LESS

Career Development Group UK National Conference 2010
Monday 17th May, 10.00 am - 4.00 pm, CILIP, London.

Are you constantly being asked to do more with less? Do you feel under pressure because you have a smaller budget to work with and there are fewer of you to do everything?

Working Smarter will give you ideas and inspiration on how to achieve more with fewer resources. Suitable for library and information workers in any sector and at any level, the programme will feature a range of expert speakers from different LIS environments who will share their experience and vision. With a mix of plenary and workshop sessions, there will be time for discussion and questions, as well as opportunities to network with professionals from across the library and information sectors.

Career Development Group (CDG) is a special interest group of CILIP, the Chartered Institute of Library & Information
Professionals (www.cilip.org.uk/cdg) Registered Charity No 313014

Programme
10.00  Registration and coffee
10.20  Conference introduction and welcome - Jon Scown, CDG President
10.30  How to reduce the hidden costs of meetings - Susie Kay, The Professionalism Group. What are the resource implications of our endless meetings culture and how can we look at our requirements in different ways to  save time, money and energy?
11.10  Refreshments
11.30  Training on a budget - Carol Brooks, Derbyshire County Council, & Jenny Cefai, Anglia Ruskin University
12.20  Librarians and the 'F' word: all about fundraising -  Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
1.00    Lunch
2.00    Parallel sessions 1, choose one session from
*          Marketing on a shoestring - Andy Ryan, London Libraries
*          I need more time....but do you really?: the skills of time management - Lesley Robinson, Information Consultant and  trainer
2.45    Refreshments
3.05    Parallel sessions 2, choose one session from
*          Using volunteers in libraries: key issues to consider - Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
 *        Professionalism for success - Susie Kay, the  Professionalism Group
3.50    Conference closing remarks
4.00    Close

Learning outcomes
 *         Improved understanding of the range of ways in which  the same or better services can be delivered with fewer resources
*         More detailed understanding of specific issues, such as how to make meetings more effective; how to deliver quality training with fewer resources; how to successfully raise funds and make use of volunteers to deliver better services; and how to make the most of limited time
*         Awareness of the benefits of continuing professional development
*         Awareness of relevant support networks and resources
*         Confidence to put some of the ideas gathered on the day into practice

The Career Development Group has been awarded the CILIP Seal of Recognition (www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal).
All delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
_______________________________________
Venue
*         CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London, WC1E 7AE
*         For maps and travel directions, see:
www.cilip.org.uk/contact-us/pages/map.aspx
*         Artsline Access Codes: E, G, W, X
Delegate rates (includes refreshments and buffet lunch)

* Career Development Group members: £90 + 17.5% VAT = £105.75
* Non-members: £105 + 17.5% VAT = £123.37
* Students & Unwaged: £50 + 17.5% VAT = £58.75

For further details on the programme, please contact Nicola Healey
on 01934 647166 or [log in to unmask]