I think he means send.nhs.net. It is the new name for smtp.nhs.net, admirably following N3's policy of dreaming up new standards for no very sensible reason!

There are two reasons relay may not be running nicely:

1) Some time ago its demise was announced in vague terms
2) At the same time they got a bit reluctant to add new IPs to its approved list of relay sources.

On 28 April 2010 10:27, Adrian Midgley (Gmail) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 06:37 +0100, John Clegg wrote:
> Yes indeed. relay.nhs.uk uses IP authentication which is much more
> elegant and usable, but I have lost track of how long they are
> planning to keep it alive. AM will know........

Oh nobody tells me anything.

(This was elevated to an all points instruction by a previous
incarnation of our health authority)

I'd not heard of send.nhs.uk  I had assumed that there would be a
smtp.nhs.net that might become available.

relay is running nicely - why wouldn't it.