I once worked as a lead physician assessing a team of 35 doctors. The
appraisal included

1/2 day sitting in with clinic and feedback
Examining a sample or 20 notes and standardized scoring and feedback
Complaints/compliments review
"360" feedback (I think the term is misleading because the best you
can get is multisource feedback, peers, reception, admin etc  I don't
think you ever get honest feedback upwards.)
PDP review (last years and agreeing the PDP ahead)

It was a minimum of 2 days work per doctor (not done all at one
sitting thank God!) and if there was any coaching/persuading/improving
required considerably more than that. I don't think I could have put
my name to a document saying they were up to a standard with less
covered.

But then does the mooted NHS appraisal actually involve the appraiser
stating in his opinion the appraised is up to standard, or is there
the usual weasel words around such things?

"The above Dr has satisfactorily completed NHS appraisal. Satisfactory
completion of NHS appraisal does not imply that the NHS warrants the
Dr is fit to practice and acceptably good at his job"

It strikes me that faced with such a lame assed system one might
reasonably expect our esteemed professional bodies to step up to the
mark with something akin to a kite mark or ISO ( I mean for the
doctors clinical appraisal, not the practice), with compliance
actually demonstrating high standards and acting as a tick for the NHS
wide process.