Root access is more like playing with matches than fire - unless you are completely daft little harm will result. Anyway, using sudo is task-specific and therefore like safety matches.

On 26 April 2010 09:54, Holmes Alistair (WEST SUSSEX PCT) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If the server is within your practice local network can you not obtain secure remote access to the command prompt using SSH? And thus avoid having to reset passwords by mail (OK logging on as root is playing with fire potentially but would you need to do it often?)
Alistair

-----Original Message-----
From: GP-UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Saul Galloway
Sent: 25 April 2010 21:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: N3 SMTP settings/local smtp server config

> I'd like that.  WHat argument did you use, and where are you?

Surrey. I said I wanted to use the webserver to run a referral management app for our PBC commissioning group.

> I still use relay.nhs.uk port 25
> You need to be set up on it, now, but nothing stops you asking for this.
>
> I do not think it is logical to handle login details for a service
> restricted to access from inside NHS Net with a SMTP server that is
> outside NHS Net.

OK so either way i need to have an open port for mail.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail