for me the major critiscm is that Appraisal now and proposed doesnt look directly at what one does with ones pts, surely what maintaining standards is what its all about. i suspect that this is because doing so is difficult logistically and expensive, whereas time on CPD,  counting numbers of complaints, and a piss-poor audit are easy and cheap.