From: Mary Hawking <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:16
Subject: Re: Weekly dispensing

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Geoff Schrecker <[log in to unmask]> writes

>Resurrecting an old thread:
>
>This question has come up again and our PCT have said they can see
>nothing potentially fraudulent in a pharmacy requesting 4 x one week
>post dated prescriptions for weekly nomad boxes. Can anyone point me
>to chapter and verse on this?

It was in the new Pharmacy Contract which came in on 1st April 2007 (I think).
The pharmacist makes a visit and decides whether the patient needs a dosette box, and if so whether they self-administer at least one dose a day to themselves i.e. without carer supervision.
The cost of this is included within the Pharmacy Contract.

Problems.
1. if there are professional carers administering medication, they are supposed to be trained to take single tablets out of the original box: some care agencies have not caught up with this requirement.
2. Professional Carers are not allowed to administer medication which has been placed in a dossette box by relations: any such device has to be packed by pharmacist.
3. many pharmacists have not heard of their new contract yet (bit like hospital doctors and Med 3s.

The fraud element would arise if the pharmacist was demanding weekly scripts to cover the cost of the dossette box or Nomad *and* charging the NHS for the service as well.

Mary

>Cheers Geoff
>
>On 24 December 2007 22:48, Adrian Midgley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

-- Mary Hawking