Gwent police managed to copy a Reg journalist into their distribution
list for a spreadsheet of CRB checks - and the Register has an article
worth reading on the implications.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/18/gwent_crb_comment/

Their concluding remarks seem , to me, to sum up the problem..

".. there’s a monster here that won’t be tamed without a
revolution/revelation in government IT planning, design, security and
privacy awareness. They’re invading our privacy industrially,
systemically and on the cheap via ill-conceived and ineffectual checking
regimes, then blaming operator error and carrying on regardless. They
should stop building this stuff until they’ve learned how to control
it. Or preferably, they should stop building this stuff. ®"

--
Mary Hawking