Hi again Gwenaëlle

Many thanks, that's most helpful. Just finally - if you were a reviewer and
saw just the three two-way comparisons, would you ask for the three-group
analysis and post-hoc t-tests, or would you be happy with the three two-way
analyses?

Rgds

Mark

On 13/4/10 9:01 PM, "Gwenaëlle DOUAUD" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Mark,

> Thanks for your response - I guess I am interested in the
>
> result of an
> F-test across the three samples so it sounds like it will
> be
> worth a try.

Sure, but bear in mind that it will only tell you where are the
> significant changes across the 3 groups, so you will still need to run the
> post-hoc t-tests on each pair of groups to determine what's "driving" these
> results.

> With regards to what my question is: it's partially
> answered by
> my results
> from the three 2-way analyses. I see that illness1 vs
> controls
> shows some
> key reductions; illness2 vs controls shows more widespread
>
> reductions and in
> larger clusters; illness1 vs illness2 shows no
> differences
> in either
> direction. I'm interested in whether illness1 vs
> illness2
> really differ, as
> the separate comparisons against controls
> implies that they
> should, but a
> direct comparison between them suggests
> that they don't.

Yes, it can happen, this means that though illness2 seems
> more severe, this is not a significant effect.

> (My numbers are
> 20-30 in
> each group). Does method II assist in this?

There is no way of knowing for
> sure, and if it does when you'll do the post-hoc t-test between illness1 and
> 2, this would be just because you have increased your DoFs, not because you
> would have asked a different question...

Cheers,
Gwenaelle