Hi,

Yes - we're not saying that the two approaches for the second-level FE modelling are exactly the same, just that there's no strong reason to choose one rather than the other and that they should generally be very close.

On the other hand, I am a little confused by the strange dip in the histogram - could you upload the relevant .gfeat output directory so we can take a look?
Please upload the files in a single compressed tarfile to
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/upload.cgi
And then email me the upload ID.

Cheers.