1)       Subject motion (even after eddy current correction) is certainly
highly correlated with poorer bedpostx reconstructions (fewer subsidiary
fibers, more uncertainty in fiber orientations), so it would make sense that
it would negatively influence FA estimates.

2)       If the problem is severe you probably should exclude the subject.

3)       SNR scales linearly with magnet strength, so you would expect lower
SNR for a given number of DWIs acquired at 1.5T vs 3T, all other things
being equal.

4)       This is a more difficult question: parallel imaging itself tends to
decrease SNR a bit; however, it also allows you to decrease the TE, which
increases the SNR and reduces the distortions.  The same is true of partial
fourier.

5)       One tends to get worse SNR with higher bvalues, but better contrast
to noise ratios (CNR).  For FA, I think it has been established that around
b=1000 is optimal (SNR vs CNR), but much higher bvalues are optimal for
estimating crossing fibers.  The exact optimum bvalue will also depend on
your hardware, sequence, and imaging resolution, because all of these affect
the SNR term.

6)       Averaging multiple scans will increase SNR and reduce noise, so
long as you properly corregister them and remove subject motion within the
timeseries.

7)       SNR varies with the number of DWIs acquired, so as long as you make
up for fewer directions with more averages, the SNR should be the same.
That being said, your estimates of fiber orientations (and especially
crossing fibers) will be worse with fewer directions, so it is always better
to acquire more directions (unless you want two averages for something like
phase up/phase down distortion correction).

8)       I'm probably the least clear on what this does to SNR.  It is
really bad for tractography because it allows for the creation of
intermediate orientation fibers that can cause inaccuracies, but I don't
know how it affects the accuracy of FA values.

Other issues you have not considered:

9)       SNR will vary depending on the coil you used (more channels are
better), and the gradient set in the magnet (stronger gradients allow a
lower TE and thus higher SNR).

10)   SNR will vary depending on if you use a dual spin echo sequence vs a
single spin echo, again because you can use a lower TE with a single spin
echo (but eddy currents will be worse).

11)   Imaging resolution has a big impact on SNR, of course.

12)   Higher imaging bandwidth generally results in worse SNR but less
distortions.

Peace,

Matt.

  _____