hi JLH,
    you can do it in matlab easily:
    if x and y (for 2d case) represent a set of points in the image space
(as given by meshgrid), and
    if dx and dy are the displacements at the corresponding points, as given
in the deformation fields, you can
    plot(x+dx, y+dy, 'k', (x+dx)', (y+dy)','k') to plot the deformation grid
in black color. (') denotes
    the transpose.
    I am sure you can do this for 3d case too if you use plot3
sid.