Dear Julian,

There is one scene in Mattew Barney's ) Drawing Restraint 9, which contains a couple killing each other with a knife while the boat is sinking.
Similarly, it also appeared in Lars Von Trier's Antichrist.
Hiu Chan

From: Julian Hanich
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Psychological Experiment on Sadness

      Dear members of the Film-Philosophy salon,

      I wonder whether I may misuse this honorable forum for a scientific investigation. For a psychological experiment on the pleasures of sadness, we are currently looking for scenes in contemporary films and televsion series in which a protagonist receives the sad news that a loved one has died. Examples can be found in diverse genres (from melodramas to war movies) and films ranging from "21 Grams" and "La stanza del figlio" to "Brothers", "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Messenger"

      Since we need a sample of roughly 50 of those scenes, I would like to ask you for your film expertise: Do you recall other movies in which we might find such death-news scenarios? We are currently scanning an enormous list of films, but maybe the wisdom of the (film) crowd could draw our attention to films we have overlooked.

      Thank you very much. With best regards,

      Julian Hanich (Freie Universität Berlin)

http://mail.yahoo.com * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**