From: bill harris
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: the cowboy request

We might safely assume that Warren is far more the rationalist than the empiricist. And who is this Brecht guy, anyway? 'Only other guy I knew of with this name worked for STASI and blabberd on about 'distance' when informed that he was unable to create real, live theatrical characters.

Anyway, no, my point is that art is always best when organized on the lowest possible 'rhetorical structure', thereby demonstrating and suggesting  rather than telling. This is because art is about jangling up sensations. So if you want to be told something with a intense degree of 'rhetorical structure', might I suggest QM?

Real Philosophers (ie those who accept Kola's arguments that Marx is for retards) would immediately recognize my brand of crude bourgeois empiricism as an analogue to
Ockham's razor. In other words, I believe that most normal, thinking members of homo sapiens of American filmic background would, when faced with such a collage, get the picture. OTH, the genetically challenged would rely on Marxism.

BH

> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:55:31 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: the cowboy request
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> There is a huge gap between Bill’s laudable aim (to study how cowboy
> culture may be carried over into the real world, to see how it might be
> satirized in various ways, as in Dr. Strangelove) and the simple listing
> of cowboy shouts in movies.
>
> My objection is, firstly, simply creating a list in itself (with no larger
> aim or purpose) has little value. A list is a low level rhetorical
> structure that does not go very far in organizing information and
> revealing meanings, patterns etc. in it.
>
> Secondly, listing fragments of an action does not lead to greater
> understanding. We can usefully draw upon Brecht’s famous comment that a
> photo of the Krupp factory tells us nothing about that factory (its
> working conditions, labour relations, etc.).
>
> Similarly, an email simply listing Dr. Strangelove and Red River, for
> example, with no attempt at critical reflection, tells us nothing about
> how cowboy culture may be carried over into the real world, or how it
> might be satirized.
>
> Warren Buckland
>
> *
> *
> Film-Philosophy salon
> After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
> To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]
> Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
> For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
> *
> Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
> Contact: [log in to unmask]
> **

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

*
*