 Well, Violet, I'm really not sure what could be 'far better' than a simple demonstration. In other words, let's just say that the intent was only to create a pastiche of hee-ha moments throughout the history of cinema.

'Great idea...fun for the moovie masses and an instant discursive realm (without the scare quotes!) for the filmic elite. In any case, 'Who among us can laugh and elevate ourself at the same time?'

BH

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:02:25 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: the cowboy request
To: [log in to unmask]

Yes, but there are far better methods for exploring that "discursive realm" than looking for instances of "yee haw"...assuming that's what she's really after. Her request was presented without context, so it's equally possible she's doing some clip reel for YouTube.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM, bill harris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In terms of cognative anthropology, I would say that it's
extremely un-trivial that Americans carry over a mentalist cowboy culture into the real world. That this might be satirized in various ways (say, Strangelove) is likewise part of film culture--a discursive realm, as it were, whose parameters need to be described. So clog away.

BH

> Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:12:29 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: the cowboy request
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Before everyone starts answering this extremely trivial question and
> clogging up my inbox with trivial answers, can we consider if this is a
> (late) April fools joke. If not, kindly answer the question off list.
>
> I've been a member of this list for several years. This is the most
> trivial question yet. (And for those who have not been on the list that
> long, we have discussed the issue of triviality before, and the 'point' of
> making huge lists of films containing superficial content, and the
> question of the elitism in questioning these trivial requests, etc.).
>
> Warren Buckland
>

> Hi there
>
> I am looking for film scenes depicting cowboys waving their hats and
> shouting "yee ha". Any genre, parody or not... Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhian Hinkley
>
> *
> *
> Film-Philosophy salon
> After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
> To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]
> Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
> For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
> *
> Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
> Contact: [log in to unmask]
> **
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] ** * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **