*with apologies for cross posting*

Ageing, Body and Society Study Group

Co-Convenors: Dr Wendy Martin (Brunel University) and Professor Julia Twigg (University of Kent)

You are warmly invited to the 3rd Annual Conference of the Ageing, Body and Society study group.  We are delighted that the British Library, St Pancras, London, are our co-hosts for this conference, that enables us to present our research in a very special, prestigious and engaging venue, close to the centre of the London.

Futures of Ageing: Science, Technology and the Body

A One Day Conference:

Monday 19th July 2010

British Library, St Pancras, London: http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/quickinfo/loc/stp/index.html

Keynote Address:      How Old is Your Brain?: Neuroculture, Active Ageing and Cognitive Decline
                                Professor Simon Williams (Warwick University, UK)

 Plenary Panel:         Technogenarians: Studying Health and Illness through an Aging, Science, and Technology Lens.
                               Participants include: Dr Kelly Joyce (College of William and Mary, USA); Dr Meika Loe (Colgate University, USA); Professor Barb Marshall (Trent University, Canada); Louis Neven (University of Twente);
                               Katie Brittain (Newcastle University, UK)

Call for Abstracts and Invitation to Delegates

Science and technologies are becoming increasingly significant to people’s experiences of growing older; innovations and developments that are likely to influence the context, nature, experiences and understandings of ageing and embodiment. This one day conference seeks to bring together researchers, academics and practitioners whose work explores and highlights the diverse ways in which science and technologies interconnect with and influence our ageing bodies. We encourage researchers to share their perspectives on science, technologies and ageing bodies and welcome abstracts on different theoretical and methodological approaches, different disciplines, emergent ideas, work in progress, practitioner perspectives, and empirical findings.

We invite abstracts for presentations that will be 15 - 20 minutes in length.  When submitting your abstract please use the BSA abstract form on our conference website www.britsoc.co.uk/events/ageing. Please provide the following information: title of your presentation; the author, organisation and e-mail address of presenter/s; and a summary of the proposed presentation using a maximum of 250 words.  Please submit your abstract to the BSA conference office at [log in to unmask] by Friday 23rd April. 2010.

We invite delegates to participate in this exciting area of study and if you wish to attend or hear more about the conference, please contact the BSA conference office at [log in to unmask]

Abstract deadline: Friday 23rd April, 2010

We also invite delegates to join us for this exciting one day conference, and registration will be open by the end of February 2010 on our conference website: www.britsoc.co.uk/events/ageing

Kind regards,

Jenny Cairns
Events Coordinator
The British Sociological Association
Telephone: +44 (0)191 383 0839
Facsimile:  +44 (0)191 383 0782
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visit our website at www.britsoc.co.uk

BSA Food Study Group 2nd Conference: Food, Society and Public Health
Monday 5th - 6th July 2010. British Library Conference Centre, London. Visit www.britsoc.co.uk/events/food for further information.
BSA Medical Sociology Group Annual Conference
Wednesday 1st – 3rd September 2010. University of Durham
Visit www.britsoc.co.uk/events/medsoc for further information.
BSA Work, Employment and Society Conference
Monday 6th – 9th September 2010. University of Brighton
BSA Ageing, Body and Society Study Group 3rd Conference: Futures of Ageing: Science, Technology and The Body
Monday 19th July 2010. The British Library Conference Centre, London

The British Sociological Association is a Company Limited by Guarantee. (Company Number 3890729), registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: Bailey Suite, Palatine House, Belmont Business Park, Belmont, DURHAM DH1 1TW, United Kingdom. Tel: [+44] (0)191 383 0839; Fax [+44] (0)191 383 0782; e-mail: [log in to unmask]; Website: www.britosc.co.uk Registered Charity Number: 1080235.

P      Please consider the environment before printing.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.