In response, I feel what one should consider here is a more balanced view. In my experience, that which you call negative behaviour on the part of parents is often a defence mechanism borne out of distrust and feelings of inadequacy imposed upon them by ‘professionals’ and ‘services’ which impart a ‘we know best attitude’.

The term ‘negative behaviour’ is also a highly contested construct. Perhaps one mans negative behaviour is another mans pluckiness in challenging the system.

To suggest that parents should seek the support of a ‘professional’ in times of crisis rather than the child “pay for their inability to care for them”, is highly unlikely given the misgivings that many parents have about so called ‘experts’. 'Effective parenting' and 'effective care' are very precarious concepts.

Perhaps a more social model perspective will assist in opening up understanding of how we perceive particular behaviours, structures and attitudes and the basis from which they stem.

Good luck with your story collection.

Archives and tools are located at: