I think Allen Scott's warning of the dangers of 'pure algebraic economics'
on the one hand and 'pure consumer-psychologistic economics' on the other is
very important, as is the remark about the removal of 'economic history' as
something that economists have to study.

Two points:
1) The study of non-strategic individuals and groups is one thing.

2) The behaviour of pseudo-regulatory and corporate elites -- as they are
affected by personal and corporate elite interests -- is another. They are
capable of being studied by institutional-historians, looking at the
behaviour of political policy- and structure- affecting groups in  their
strategies for obtaining more 'leverage' and improving their balance of
power/advantage in particular conjunctures. These will differ in time and
place, and so 'potentially-useful abstractions' have to be subordinated to
understanding particular political conjunctures.

3) The structural conditions of preponderantly 'short term' and 'long-term'
perspectives in different dominant social categories and in different
categories of economic personnel (short-term dealers, longterm institutional
strategists) are capable of investigation, as are the interests and
ideologies that limit their realism.

4) It may be that heterodox social research (for example Green Economics,
and radical economics and political economy) can contribute to thinking
harder and above all more historically and more category-specifically about
structure and agency. The various work-groups to whom this email is
addressed might usefully learn of each other's existence!