Dear Network Members
I have posted information about our Estate in Central London on two
previous occasions and I am writing to report enormous progress, at
least in the physical appearance of the estate and the satisfaction
of the committee and facilities for residents.   The Holborn Housing
Office, is apparently making real efforts to make good the neglect of
the estate in previous years, and from various pots of money
available either through competitive bids that this estate can make,
or from government initiatives or Decent Homes finance, the following
improvements have been made.
1.  Changing a dog toilet to an orchard
2.  Significant raised beds for plants which match in design and
materials a new recycling area
and also matched wooden bollards to a design chosen by the committee,
which is very harmonious to look at.
3.  New lifts in two blocks
4.  Plans in train for a survey of underground services (gas,
electricity, water etc.) in a central area, prior to a design to
rehabilate this for better recreation
5.  A Pathfinder semi-natural playground updated from the former
playground (Government funds)
6.  Closure of one of the exits to make the estate less vulnerable.
There are still five or six exits, so a complaint from one resident
that it is becoming like a ghetto is somewhat surprising.
7/ Plans for thorough cleaning of stairs and landings, with
consultation with tenants
8. Vastly improved relations with Housing staff, for which there is
credit on both sides, but particularly that the Housing staff are
less defensive.

I think credit is due to Dr. Sean Cameron, who conducted a research
into residents' needs two to three years ago, and to myself in
sticking it out as Secretary when the situation was almost
intolerable, and when the rest of the committee would have resigned
if I had done so.   At the time the committee as a whole judged that
this would have not have made any real impact, but what did make
impact was the  Council ignoring their own planning rules and causing
disruption which could be challenged by Councillors, thus putting the
Housing office at a disadvantage.    Also, as mentioned previously,
the input of psychologists into the selection procedure for new staff.

I am prompted to write now, as Craig seems to have a view that
psychologists have nothing to offer society, even if they happen to
be, among other things, qualified in Social Psychology with
backgrounds also in Sociology and Anthropology.   Although he has
indicated strong feelings
it is not quite clear what his view is of how improvements in
people's well-being is to be achieved and it would be helpful if this
could be made explicit, as he is such a frequent contributor to the
network, and not necessarily known personally to all.

With thanks,
Erica Brostoff.

___________________________________
The Community Psychology List has a new website/blog at:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/
There is a threaded discussion forum:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
There is a twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/CommPsychUK
To post on the website blog, forum or twitter feed, contact Grant or David at the email addresses below.
David Fryer ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe or to change your details on this COMMUNITYPSYCHUK list, visit the website:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK