I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but maybe something similar to
the way the UCSF Chimera deals with multiple structures would be possible? I
have no idea what this would entail in terms of coding or the data model.

Anyway, in Chimera, at the bottom of the main screen there are checkboxes
for each model. Anything checked is active and affected by the mouse, and
anything that's not isn't. One can also open the Model Panel which allows
the same as well as controlling whether or not a model is visible. Visible
and Active are independent flags. Analysis of course already has an
equivalent of visible.

Andrew