All - I am trying to intuitively understand the concept of the DEN (deformable elastic network) function for low resolution X-ray crystallography in Schroder et al. (Levitt & Brunger) recent Letter to Nature (Vol 464, 22 April 2010).  Is this (conceptually anyway) analogous to an experimentally determined NOE distance restraint between some parts of a structure in an NMR refinement, except here using distance restraints from homologous structures determined at "high" resolution?  I am trying to think of a way to describe it to students without the math.  That may be impossible but I'd like to try!  I should probably have posted this to CNSbb but I don't currently belong- sorry.

Thanks

Laurie Betts
UNC