Yes, this can be done, but you need buccaneer 1.4, which I haven't
released yet. We've seen significant benefits to preserving the heavy
atoms through to the refinement, although the code has been written so
that it can preserve DNA or any other know structure features as well.

I'll try and put together a release next week so you can try it out.