Since it is suggested to run SHARP in order to obtain the phasing
statistics, I take the liberty to provide a link where the expressions
for relevant quantities are specified :

http://www.globalphasing.com/pipermail/sharp-discuss/2003-March/001490.html

As a general problem, all these statistical indicators were defined in
the early days of protein crystallography, in the context of the Blow &
Crick (1959) framework (i.e. assuming error-free native measurements)
using MIR data (i.e. essentially yielding unimodal phase probability
distributions). The R-Cullis was initially defined for centric
reflections only.

Modern maximum-likelihood phasing methods have abandoned the Blow &
Crick concept of error-free native measurements and use a full
2-dimensional probability distribution for acentric structure factors on
the complex plane. The methods are therefore capable of adequately
dealing with highly bimodal probability distributions (e.g. SIR, SAD)
and with data where there is no native (or otherwise "special") data set
(e.g. MAD).

It is not entirely evident how the "Blow & Crick" Phasing-Power,
R-Cullis and FOM can be extended and generalized. The approach adopted
in SHARP is described in the page whose link is given above.

Concerning the FOM, it is not strictly true that the FOM, evaluated on a
2-dimensional probability distribution is equal to the cosine of the
phase error., This is only the case if one assumes the "native"
amplitude to be error-free. However, the cases discussed by Ian (bimodal
distributions in SIR or SAD) will be correctly dealt with by SHARP.

Things become also more tricky when computing and using
Hendrickson-Lattman (1970) coefficients since, in the general case,
these can not be calculated in a meaningful way for the "native" phase
probability distribution (see the discussion in section 8 of Bricogne et
al. (2003) [Acta Cryst D.59, 2023-2030]. This is a very important issue
in connection with the subsequent use of density-modification
techniques, but it is often overlooked.

Marc

--
Marc SCHILTZ      http://lcr.epfl.ch