On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Daniel Bonsor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Following my previous question, there was something wrong with the staring
> model for molecular replacement. Now that is sorted, I have 8 complexes in
> the ASU. After a few rounds of refinement with NCS and isotropic Bfactors,
> both the Rfactor and Rfree get stuck at 30% and 36%, respectively.
>
> I have only just noticed that I am trying to model ~43000 atoms with ~95000
>  unique reflections (98% complete, at 2.58 Angstrom resolution). Is this the
> reason why the R factors are stuck and I should start the refinement again
> from scratch using overall Bfactors with NCS and switch to TLS once my
> Rfactor is less than 30% and possibly reduce the number of reflections used
> for Rfree (currently using the standard CCP4 5%)

I don't think it's a parameters-to-data-ratio problem - the combination of
NCS, geometry, and ADP restraints will help prevent overfitting, and the
difference between R and R-free isn't unreasonable (they're just both too
high).  At 2.58A isotropic B-factors are very appropriate, and switching to
overall (per-residue?) will probably make everything worse.  There is a long
list of other things to check first, starting with twinning and/or other
undiagnosed crystal pathologies such as pseudosymmetry.  I'm not sure what
to suggest about TLS refinement, but now would be a good time to try it and
see if it helps.  You could also try adjusting the strength of NCS
restraints, but I doubt this will make a huge difference either way.

Using a smaller test set will almost certainly not help anything.  I've
heard arguments that you can get away with less than 5% of reflections in
the test set, if the resulting number is at least 2000, but personally, I'd
keep 5%, if only to avoid the inevitable sniping by reviewers.

-Nat