From: Jeffrey Ventrella <[log in to unmask]>
Date: April 28, 2010 3:49:25 PM PDT

Greetings fellow artists, programmers, and idea breeders...

The Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO) will be holding a competition for artists to submit works. Last year, Spot Draves and I were the winners of the competition, and we were asked this year to help with organization, jurying, and identifying creative individuals who might be interested in submitting work. That is why I am contacting you (the recipient list is large and thus included in the 'Bcc').

 * Submission deadline: June 18, 2010
 * Conference: July 7-11, 2010

We will accept original works of a variety of media, including: images, sculptures, musical systems, video, and interactive online experiences. We will also accept computational systems that exhibit some form of independent creativity.

Human creativity is a blip on the screen of evolutionary time. The long history of biosphere creativity can be tapped in algorithmic form. This is the motivation for many of us who explore evolutionary art.

The official announcement is posted here on the GECCO web site:

http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2010/competitions.html

Below is the text of the announcement.

Evolutionary Art Competition
Organizers
 Scott Draves, Electric Sheep
 Christian Gagné, Université Laval
 Jeffrey Ventrella, independent
artist/researcher

Call:
 PDF
 swf

This competition invites conference participants to demonstrate that genetic and evolutionary computation can be applied to create impressive and provocative works of art. The competition will identify the best work, be it an image, a sculpture, a music score, a video, an interactive online experience, or a system that exhibits some form of independent creativity.

Entry Submission
Entrants must submit: (1) a brief artistic statement illustrating the concept, (2) a short paper describing the technical details, and (3) a set of multimedia files to illustrate the result of the evolutionary process. Artists can either submit five still images, or a video of up to 5 minutes, or a sound file of up to 5 minutes. All submissions should be sent to  by June 18, 2010.

Evaluation
The submissions will be evaluated by a jury of researchers from the evolutionary computation and the technological arts communities, who will evaluate the submissions on the following criteria: originality (50 %), technical quality (30 %), and relevance to evolutionary art and the goals of the competition (20 %).

Presentation
Finalists selected by the jury will be invited to present their submission at the competition session, held during the GECCO conference. The winner of the competition will be announced at the SIGEVO meeting ceremony, on July 11, 2010.

Important Dates

 Submission deadline: June 18, 2010
 Conference: July 7-11, 2010

====
Paul Brown - based in OZ April to November 2010
mailto:[log in to unmask] == http://www.paul-brown.com
OZ Landline +61 (0)7 3391 0094 == USA fax +1 309 216 9900
OZ Mobile +61 (0)419 72 74 85 == Skype paul-g-brown
====
Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====