In the USA, the most popular novel ever is _Gone with the Wind_.  A rather fine 50s, I think, film, too.  Surely you remember Scarlet O'Hara.....Tara.....Rhett Butler....."Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".....and so on.  Melanie was an important character, totally insipid, sweet, uninteresting character, but apparently my mother liked her.

Must confess, 'twasn't until long after I'd seen the Wizard of Oz film in my kidhood that I read Baum's book and attempted his other books.  Only then did I realise that the Wizard was a bumbling, cartoonish, terrified person and fakely authoritarian person.

Judy