Tim,

I've posted the following response to the Andrews quote elsewhere, but I think it's worth repeating:

"I agree with Andrews. I think he is not against randomness as such, but perhaps works that use it based on a system or procedure that is designed to produce similar patterns of randomness. Such work may display (as Charles Bernstein might say) too much of the mechanisms of its own production to allow readers to fully engage exegetically with the text. This is perhaps why Andrews criticises the work as being just as authoritarian as the School of Quietude, to use Ron Silliman’s term.

When I write poems, chance is used a lot, though I do select from the random data words and phrases that I like, or that I think allow more exegetical possibilities for readers than other chance word or phrase combinations may allow. For me, how this is manufactured is as unimportant as the artist's paints, brush and palette are in the creation of a painting."

Best,

Jeff