The Centre for Romantic Studies

University of Bristol

ROMANTIC AFTERLIVES:

Film & New Media

Link Rooms 1 & 2, 3/5 Woodland Road, Bristol

We are proud to present a new series of annual colloquia on the theme of
Romantic Afterlives. Our inaugural event will examine Film & New Media.
Future themes will include Fiction, Poetry, Music, Visual Art, and
others. In this series we invite participants to reflect on and
critically examine adaptations of and responses to the lives and works
of canonical and noncanonical Romantic-period authors, artists, and
historical figures. Romantic Afterlives: Film & New Media will address
the art and function of recent feature-length biopics, such as Bright
Star and other films by Jane Campion and Pandaemonium; the impact of
French Romanticism on mainstream movies such as Batman Begins; and
poetry readings on YouTube and elsewhere.

(1) SYMPOSIUM, 2-5pm

I. Dr. Bradley Stephens (University of Bristol, French): 'Men Who Laugh:
Afterlives of French Romanticism in Gotham City'
II. Dr. Daniel Cook (University of Bristol, English): 'The Mask of
Ghandi: P. B. Shelley on YouTube'
III. Dr. Liz Watkins (University of Bristol, Drama): 'Literary Sources
and Imagery in the Films of Jane Campion'
IV. Professor Andrew Bennett (University of Bristol, English): 'Keats,
Film, and the Impossibility of Poetry'
V. Dr. Julian North (University of Leicester, English): 'Romantic Genius
on Screen'
VI. Professor Ralph Pite (University of Bristol, English): 'On
Pandaemonium'

(2) WINE RECEPTION, 5-5-30pm (common room)

(3) MOVIE SCREENING: Pandaemonium (dir. Julien Temple, 2000), 5.30pm

All of the events are FREE admittance but please email to register
interest. We invite you to attend any of the events you wish.
For more information contact Daniel Cook <[log in to unmask]>

British Association for Romantic Studies

http://www.bars.ac.uk

To advertise Romantic literature conferences, publications, jobs, or

other events that the BARS members would be interested in, please

contact Neil Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>

Also use this address to register any change in your e-mail address,

or to be removed from the list.

Messages are held in archives, along with other information about the

Mailbase at: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/bars.html