From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Bill Wexler
Sent: 13 April 2010 12:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archive boxes for school log books

If anyone has a satisfactory system for boxing school log books (c1870-1940s), I'd be very grateful to hear of it.

We have a lot of them.  They need to be easy to get at, because they are frequently requested by researchers.

Typically the books are about  9 x 7½ x 1¼ inches  (23 x 19½ x 3 cm).

If you put more than three or four in a box, the boxes get too heavy for safe handling.

Possible solutions might include a special size of box that only takes three or four log books.  Or a box that stays on the shelf, and has a drop-down hinge.

If you have a proven storage method, I'll be glad to hear from you.

There are of course other types of records that present similar problems.

Yours sincerely

Bill Wexler, Public Service Archivist

Suffolk County Council, Adult and Community Services, Suffolk Record Office (Lowestoft Branch), Central Library, Clapham Road South, LOWESTOFT, Suffolk NR32 1DR

Tel: (01502) 405362.  E-mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]  Website:  <http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/LocalHistoryandHeritage/SuffolkRecordOffice/> www.suffolk.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/LocalHistoryandHeritage/SuffolkRecordOffice/

This message and any attachments accompanying it are intended for the named addressee only, and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised use.  Any use, reproduction, distribution, disclosure or modification of this e-mail message or its attachments other than by its intended recipient is strictly prohibited by the sender.  If you have received it in error, I apologise and ask that you delete it and inform me immediately.

The views expressed may be personal and do not necessarily reflect those of Suffolk County Council.

Emails sent to and from this organisation will be monitored in accordance

with the law to ensure compliance with policies and to minimise any

security risks.

The information contained in this email or any of its attachments may

be privileged or confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of

the addressee. Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive

this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by using

the reply facility in your email software.

“Confidentiality:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment may be confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  It is intended only for the use of the named recipient.  If you are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately and delete it from your system.  In such an event, you should not disclose the contents of this e-mail to any other person, or print it.”