Dear Welmoud,
we have in Bruszczewo, Western Poland, lots of carbonized material (barley and emmer,
acorns) in an Alnus-forest.
Very strange.

Am 7 Apr 2010 um 15:36 hat Welmoed Out geschrieben:

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone know an archaeological parallel for the hearth of the wetland site
Bergschenhoek (c. 4100 BC, The Netherlands) in which both uncarbonised and
carbonised botanical macroremains of primarily reed marsh vegetation
remained preserved? I am looking for parallels for a better understanding of
site formation, deposition processes and plant use.

The hearth at Bergschenhoek was built of layers of carbonised material,
uncabronised reed and reed mud (detritus/fine organic material) (see photo),
representing various use phases. The site was located in an eutrophic reed
marsh environment surrounded by open water. Apart from reed vegetation and
disturbance indicators, remains of some presumably collected food plants were
found. The site including the hearth remained preserved under waterlogged
conditions.

More information at:
https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/dspace/bitstream/1887/14033/38/app5.pdf

Best wishes,

Welmoed Out

Minder SPAM in de verbeterde Windows Live Hotmail
"-- "
Dr. Helmut Kroll
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte der Universität,  24098 Kiel
Tel. 0431 880-3654; - 2338; Fax -7300
Mail [log in to unmask]