This is certainly extremely worrying, and writing as someone who was in
a similar position last year I have a great deal of sympathy.

In fact the position may be worse than Dave Killick suggests. It is my
understanding that Gill's demotion is actually to a 0.3 "teaching
fellow". This means that technically she is only able to teach... so
cannot apply for funding, be a lead investigator or hold a funding
award. As a teaching fellow there is no requirement for research. This
is actually a very serious demotion and represents the loss of an
academic post in archaeometallurgy. It is a shame that this action has
been taken apparently on the basis of two or three reviews, rather than
looking at the wider body of Gill's work and her really significant
contribution to the field over many years.

I too would urge members of the list to read the paper in Historical
Metallurgy, and to write to the University as soon as possible.