Funny,   Marcel Duchamp, whose work I've always admired felt that museums are where art goes to die.   His attitude was that Museums are too insular and exclusive avenues for art viewing, whereas art should be everywhere, on the street, on the sides of buildings, etc..   I'd say, I have to agree with him to some extent.
-----Original Message-----
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of A Clanton
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] FW: Seeing the sacred in the museum - AHRC CDA doctoral studentship available

This study intrigues me. While I've never been to the British Museum, I've always loved how people leave offerings of coins at the statues of Ganesh at the Met in NYC. Personally, I've always felt that the Museum of Modern Art is a temple! My research for my Master's and now my Ph.D. has been concerned with the connections between religion, ritual, and the arts.