Hi all

Please see the thread from the Ambit list below. It is incredibly
disturbing. This government official hasn¹t a clue how artists think and
operate ­ and yet they are apparently the Deputy Director of Culture for the
Scottish government! It is like having Dick Cheney running Amnesty! It is so
unbelievable it crossed my mind it is a hoax but this person is indeed who
they say they are and seems to be seeking to co-opt artists into a morally
bankrupt war of aggression founded on an arrogant imperial foreign policy
enforced domestically through a corrupt and corrupting home security
apparatus. In the best of times artists are obliged to rip up the rule book
and turn over the furniture but in this context we are obliged to do more.
How does the artist act responsibly in this context and contest such
insidious actions? What artistic interventions might now be appropriate?

The second section of the thread presents a text documenting how
anthropologists previously responded to attempts by the authorities to
similarly co-opt their discipline. The url it points to offers more detailed
documentation and background. Whilst I agree entirely with their logic and
conclusions I wonder whether the actions they proposed to take in response
had any effect. The fact that their deliberations and actions pre-date the
Scottish Executive email below by a good period of time shows that they made
no difference. What would?
Best

Simon

Simon Biggs