Dear Dr. Gitelman and others,
The design is factorial. We have task/control X 2/3/4 choice (multiple
choice questions). 2x3 design.

When getting a VOI, it asks to adjust for effects. I chose "Main effect
of task", which would be the F contrast (temporal derivs included):
 >> SPM.xCon(2).c'
ans =
     1     0     1     0     1     0    -1     0    -1     0    -1
0     0
     0     1     0     1     0     1     0    -1     0    -1     0
-1     0

[This would be 2task TD 3task TD 4task TD 2control TD .....]

I assumed this would be analagous to section 33.3 #5 in the SPM5 manual
(pp. 287). Then I chose a sphere of radius 4mm.
For the particular region I was asking about, it is in IFG/insula, which
I know is probably pretty heterogeneous; but I also see the same thing
when doing a PPI with BA6 (right in the center of FEF) as the seed
region, and also in the superior parietal lobe.

RE the variance: assuming the formula in line 283 of spm_regions is
correct, for a random subject:
 >> xY.s(1)*100/sum(xY.s)
ans =
   95.8826
(lowest of all subj's was 88.5%; the rest were 91.3% or higher)

So, would Hyoung-Ryul's ideas make sense? Would this be something to
explore in DCM (modulation of self-connections for those regions)?
Thanks,
Chris