I'm not exactly sure what's in the script, but I'm guessing that the
customised template is generated by spatially normalising all the images
to one of the templates released with SPM and generating an average of
all the spatially normalised images, possibly followed by 8mm FWHM
spatial smoothing.  Overall, it's very simple and was just a response to
a common request about dealing with images with contrasts that differ
from the T1w used for the templates released with SPM.

Best regards,
-John

--
John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]>