Dear List,
I am trying to identify the author of a letter appended to Gascoigne's
translation of Innocent III's treatise, The droomme of Doomes day (1576).
The letter is entitled "A letter wrytten by I. B. vnto his famyliar frende
G. P. teaching remedies against the bytternesse of Death." Gascoigne
describes it as "an olde letter" in his dedication:
I haue thought good to adde an olde letter which teacheth *Remedies against
the bitternes of Death.* Being perticulerly and yet (in myne opinion)
eloquently and well wrytten by the originall aucthour.The printer simply
identifies it as "a private letter" in the table of contents. I am not a
Gascoigne scholar; any clues as to who are JB and GP? Was the letter in
Gascoigne's private possession? Or was it in wider circulation?Julia