Here are the quotations for this week (March 21st to 27th):

1. …The three closed round the monkey, hanging on his every motion with an earnestness almost equal to ours. The great judge's head - seamed and vertical forehead, iron mouth, and pike-like under-jaw, all set on that thick neck rising out of the white flanneled collar - was thrown against the puckered green silk of the organ front as it might have been a cameo of Titus ...

2. ...The train had lost patience at last, and was coming into the station directly beneath me to see what was the matter. Happy voices sang and heads were thrust out all along the compartments, but none answered their songs or greetings. She halted, and the people began to get out. Then they began to get in again, as their friends in the waiting-rooms advised…

3. ... I saw both Front Benches bend forward, some with their foreheads on their despatch boxes, the rest with their faces in their hands; and their moving shoulders jolted the house out of its last rag of decency. Only the Speaker remained unmoved. The entire press of Great Britain bore witness next day that he had not even bowed his head…

The sources of last week's extracts (March 14th to 20th) are as follows:

1.  (...You'd ha' thought he'd show up in England like a fresh stiff on snow - but you never noticed him...)  This is from "A Friend of the Family" in Debits and Credits.

2.  (...…He drank, and the tune rose louder, and he straightened himself yet more...)  This is from "The Man who Was" from Life's Handicap.

3.  (...Advancing cautiously to the river front, Gunga Dass stepped from tussock to tussock until he had reached a smooth patch of sand...)  This is from "The Strange Ride of Morrowbie Jukes", in Wee Willie Winkie and other stories.

In the NRG we have just published notes by John McGivering and John Radcliffe on "The Muse among the Motors", the series of twenty-sic parodies of earlier poets on the joys and terrors of motoring.  We have made extensive use of an excellent but little known study by Ann Weygandt (1939) on Kipling's Reading and Its Influence on His Poetry, which is well worth a look if you can find a copy.

Good wishes to all

John R