Thanks everyone for your input. I've got some reading to do, and I'm sure I'll be in touch with several of you in the near future.

I may also repost these responses to the datacure email list that a group of us just started that would focus on research data (http://www.uoregon.edu/~bwestra/datacure_emaillist.html). We may be duplicating what the research dataman list offers, though I assume the research dataman list would have more of a UK emphasis. Those of you who have been on here for a while can perhaps give me your thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian