From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Blackford, Sarah
Sent: 23 March 2010 14:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Science communication internship

Dear Michael,

I take your point, however, the SEB has been running its internship scheme for some years now with no complaints from our postgrads and postdocs who have been able to continue with their studies/contracts at the same time. I do not see it as unpaid labour but a valuable opportunity for someone to get some experience in this field of work (and a reference) to enable them to secure a job in the future or even just to get a taster of what the career looks like. A science communication course would be costly to most as an alternative option. In addition, we have paid for our intern’s  expenses including accommodation, travel and registration etc at our main international conferences free of charge, also allowing them to attend sessions whilst carrying out their PR duties.

I suspect some of them may be reading this right now as most have secured a position in science communication as result of our internship scheme. I am still in touch with nearly all of them.

With best wishes.

Sarah

Sarah Blackford

Head of Education & Public Affairs